Thursday, November 22, 2012

Out of Comfort Zone

When I decided to blog, I wondered what kind of thoughts I would be publicizing. Initially I wanted to write about up and coming entrepreneurs, business savvy artists and geeks or nomadic freelancers. I also wanted to dedicate a blog to fascinating women who defied all odds to thrive, such as the likes of Anne Boleyn or Malka Zimetbaum. Finally, at my farewell party in Budapest, I realized that even though it was incredibly difficult for me to leave this community behind and that many did not want me to leave, everyone supported me in reaching for my sky-high and slightly obnoxious goals. I felt like I must make the most out of life or I would be letting a lot of people down. I'm hoping that this blog has helped spread some of my hopelessness :)

I've been in Hong Kong for three weeks now and it's been a Behemeth of a roller-coaster. There have been days where I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, line up for over 20 minutes for coffee and get bumped into five times on my way to the MTR and a few hours later I would be sitting in seawater in my soaked hiking clothes and hearing nothing but the sound of seagull cries and children laughter. Similarly, I could be eavesdropping on Cantonese conversations at work, deciphering thick Hindi accents at a Diwali celebration and making friends with fellow Torontonians in LKF. Hong Kong is emotionally and physically exhausting and I'm loving how I'm always hovering outside of my comfort zone and testing my limits. After all, that is why I chose the life of an expat.

Unlike other Asian tourists, I don't normally read up on a city before going there. Mostly because unexpected travel plans sweep me away like a Tornado and dumps me somewhere with enough junk to have a decent holiday. Despite my ignorance, I've managed to put together a checklist for Hong Kong.

Checklist Hong Kong
  1. Enjoy a piping hot latte at the highest point in Hong Kong - Check. The best thing about hiking all the way to the top of Victoria Peak is that there's a Starbucks up there that serves the inappropriately dressed visitors. The clouds can't cover the magnificent view of the Hong Kong skyline during the night-time, it's like a mega-souped up pin-ball machine.
  2. Go to a lecture at a local University - Check I'm not particularly fond of school but it's interesting to see how courses are taught differently due to location. We attended a talk where the local community leaders of Christianity, Islam and Judaism come together and discuss how their religious texts contribute to/disagree with the UN Declaration of Human Rights. Hong Kong is a magnet for brilliant academics and inspirational businessmen. These eye-opening opportunities is one of the main reasons that I targeted Hong Kong. 
  3. Go hiking every weekend - Check. Whereas some people need to party until they blackout to distress, I have developed an affinity for hiking. It takes me about a good minute to catch my breath at the end of every hike (I swear I'm more out of shape than smokers), but looking back to how far I've come is just so satisfying. This must be how athletes feel like. 
  4. Get mistaken as a prostitute - Check. I've learned that if you're all dressed up to party and waiting for your friend, put on a sweater or a perverted business man will think you're a 'siu ze', a prostitute. 
  5. Indulge in street food in Mong Kok while window shopping - Check. The difference between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island is dramatic. Whereas the Island is a popular destination for foreigners and full of extravagant shopping centres, Kowloon is much more modest and authentic. The district of Mong Kok in Kowloon is where the locals like to hang out, where you can get great food and pretty shoes at a decent price. Amazingly, getting the attention of a street food vendor is close to impossible if you don't scream out orders in Cantonese. I think I've got 'Ya go gai', 'one chicken kebab' down to a tee. 
  6. Hold a dinner party and serve my famous vegetarian lasagna recipe
  7. Hike to the Peak in the early morning after a night at LanKwaiFong and catching the sunrise
  8. Dance to Mariah Carey’s ‘All I want for Christmas is You’ on the streets in LKF during the festivities
  9. Camp out somewhere in Central on Sunday like the hard-working laborers
  10. Organize/participate in a scavenger hunt
  11. Ride in the top level of '1904 est' tram. 
  12. Go to a horserace
  13. Go fishing (what a patient sport)
Well, I'd like to think that I'm off to a good start in Hong Kong. It seems like I'll have to be extra ambitious this year in my New Years' Resolution. 

2 comments: